Sunday, November 11, 2012

Mary Poppins Bag


One Sunday I observed my friend, Wendy, had brought a “big church bag” with her to Sacrament Meeting. I wondered what new important calling she had received.  Noticing that she was not sustained at the beginning of the meeting, I watched with curiosity, as she nonchalantly reached into her Mary Poppins Bag and produced a new activity for the children of the family she was sitting next to every time they started to get restless.  Her bag had magic in it!  

     We often see moms with their big church bags, why can’t we have one?  Just watch a mom and you’ll see what to bring (well, the diapers and wipes may not be mandatory…yet).  The Friend magazine, small toys, books (that can be chewed on), crayons, snacks, etc. are good starters.   I like to lure the children to my side by giving them a pass-along cards; pass-along cards--not playing cards. 
 I have profited many times from my own big church bag that I started to bring after seeing Wendy's success.   One day I was sitting in Relief Society next to a mother of twin boys.  She asked if I would watch one boy while she changed the other.  Of course--my pleasure!  Luckily, I was prepared with my big church bag.  The chewable book  and a small toy came in handy until the mother came back a few minutes later and lifting up the back end of the twin I was left with, taking a whiff, said that she had taken the wrong twin to change.  I don’t remember the Relief Society lesson that day, but I remember struggling to suppress my laughter as she toted away the soiled twin.
     Another Sunday morning, I noticed the chorister in Sacrament Meeting had a curious smirk on her face during the opening hymn.  Thinking that someone had made a face at her or she must have seen something humorous, I felt left out.  I wanted to know what was so funny…and then I saw her two-year old dart in front of the Bishop onto the stand, barely out of his mother’s reach.  The father was not at church this particular Sunday, so no one was left to wrangle her two young boys.  The temptation was too great to surpass--the cunning two-year old could not let the ideal opportunity pass that had presented itself:
             1) embarrass his mom and
             2) get the attention of congregation.  
      Bless the heart of the mother.  She lead the music with one hand and with the other hand pointed the “Get back to your seat right now-you are in big trouble, buster” finger at her son.  The situation was getting worse.  Let’s be honest, no one was paying attention to uplifting and inspiring words of the hymn of praise.  This was first rate Sunday entertainment!  As only a mother could do, when the little boy ran passed his mother, she swept him up with the hand that included the “Get back to your seat right now-you are in big trouble, buster” finger, set him on her hip and continued to lead the music without missing a beat!  

       I vacillated, “Should I go get him?  Does she want help?  He doesn’t know me very well.  Will I look stupid?”  Finally, I abandoned thoughts of hesitation, marched up to the stand and carefully lifted the little boy off his mother’s hip as I smiled at the mother—still not missing a beat, and headed for the pew on which his brother sat.  Lucky for me, I had my big church bag.  The little boy was really taken off guard and a hint of fear was peering out from his dark little eyes until I brought out a little picture book about Jesus.  I proceeded to take my place at the end of the pew, as to prevent any further disastrous escapes.  His older brother was now trapped as well.     

    Often, unknown surprises in your bag may come in handy.  Today, in fact, I had some powdered packets of recently purchased Airborne.  Shaking them created a soothing, reverent sound--very enticing to a restless little guy.  Who knew that an Airborne box and powered packets could prove to occupy a toddler for twenty minutes during Relief Society?  Just a packet full of Airborne helps the Relief Society lesson go down, I guess.  In the most delightful way, of course. 


Instead of sitting alone and feeling sorry for ourselves, let's bring our big church bags full of fun, find families in need, and let the Mary Poppins magic begin





   For more ideas of what to put in your BIG CHURCH BAG or how to use it, please contact your local Relief Society sisters.



Mary Poppins: Never judge things by their appearance... even carpetbags. I'm sure I never do. (re-read in an English accent...it's even better!)

8 comments:

  1. YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! Just today, I had a little guy sit on my lap. As I was trying to help him be reverent during the sacrament...All I could do was whisper in his ear and talk about the Savior. He listened so intently. It was just what I needed today! Next time I will bring a bag full of "good stuff." THANKS for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the great times of you sitting next to me and my little boy during sacrament meeting and saving the day with your Mary Poppins magic! We miss you in our ward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi friend. This is Julie Little. I don't know how I found your blog but I LOVE it! Thank you for it. I hope you are doing great. Are you Mary Poppins?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so prepared. I love the way you always seem to entertain my boys when needed. I guess your old Visiting Teacher who brought you a sandwich gave you some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love this! You are incredible! Also--super smart :) so good job with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this Melanie!!! It's uplifting and hilarious, at the appropriate moments. AWESOME. Just like YOU. Thanks for the invite my friend. I am ENJOYING reading your "stories" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister-in-law read this. She told me the other day that she loved the idea! In relief society they were talked about ways to keep reverance in Sacrament Meeting. She shared your Mary Poppins idea with them. She said she loved this idea! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bruxinha! Querida!

    Loved this post. Because my bag is never ever EVER as cool as the bags of two women who sit near my family . . . neither one of them is married so they dote on my kids and BY FAR their bags (and stuff) are WAY WAY cooler than mine. Since Eric is on the stand, I can tell you that I only survive because of the coolness of the other bags. And since my youngest wasn't able to attend church for most of the first year of her life (and I was home taking care of her) . . . it was a comfort to send my boys to church to sit with those women who loved my boys through their WAY COOL BAGS.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete